Mint Brownies are a refreshing chocolate dessert. They are made up of three layers: brownies, mint frosting, and chocolate topping.
St. Patrick’s Day is in a couple weeks so I had to make something in celebration. The first two things I thought of were the color green and mint so I made Mint Brownies. They are made up of three parts: brownie, mint layer and chocolate topping.
To make the brownie part, I put the butter in a large saucepan on the stove. Once it was melted, I removed it from the stove. In a bowl, I combined the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Then I stir in the chocolate chips and set the bowl aside. In the melted butter saucepan, I mixed in the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Then I whisked in the flour mixture until blended.
I spread the batter into my greased 9×13 inch pan. Then I baked it for around 25 minutes until its done. I let the brownies cool completely on the counter top.
For the mint layer, I used my stand mixer. I beat the confectioners’ sugar, butter, milk, peppermint extract and green food coloring until smooth and fluffy. I spread it over the cooled brownies. I covered the brownies and placed them in the fridge for several minutes until I was ready to add the topping.
The last part was making the topping for the brownies. I melted my chocolate in the microwave to save time. I placed the chocolate chips and butter in a glass measuring cup and placed it in the microwave. I microwaved it for 30 seconds at 50% power, stirred, put it back in for 30 seconds at 50% power and stirred to make sure it was completely melted. I let the chocolate cool slightly and then poured it over the top of the mint layer. I covered the pan and refrigerated it for over an hour before cutting. The Mint Brownies are a great refreshing dessert.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 Tbs. milk
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 Tbs. butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add in chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In the melted butter saucepan, mix in sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk in flour mixture until blended. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until done.
- Cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, milk, peppermint extract and green food coloring until smooth & fluffy.
- Spread over cooled brownies. Refrigerate until set.
- Melt chocolate and butter. Let cool slightly. Spread over the top of the mint layer.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting.