Spread the love with dessert by making Heart Cake Pops. The heart shaped cake pops are covered in red candy coating and decorated with red sanding sugar.
Valentine’s Day is known for heart decorations and sweets. You can celebrate by combining hearts and dessert with Heart Cake Pops. The heart shaped cake pops are covered in red candy coating and decorated with red sanding sugar. Heart Cake Pops are the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert to serve your loved ones.
If you don’t know what cake pops are, they are basically cake balls covered in a candy coating and served on sticks. To make Heart Cake Pops, you need to bake a cake and allow it to cool. Then you crumble the cake into fine crumbs and add in frosting. Form the mixture into heart shapes and place in the fridge to chill for an hour. Then dip a lollipop stick into the melted wafers and insert it into the cake heart. Each heart gets fully dipped into the melted wafers. Before the candy coating hardens, decorate the cake pops with red sanding sugar. The Heart Cake Pops are a fun, family friendly dessert.
- 16.5 oz box of cake mix
- ¾ of a 16 oz. container of frosting
- 32 oz. bag of red melting wafers
- Wilton Candy Melts EZ Thin Dipping Aid, shortening or oil for thinning
- 30 lollipop sticks
- Red sanding sugar sprinkles
- Bake a 9x13 cake according to package directions. Allow cake to cool completely.
- In a bowl, crumble cake into fine crumbs and mix in about ¾ of the container of frosting.
- Form cake mixture into 1½ inch balls and shape into a hearts. Place hearts covered in the fridge for an hour or more.
- Melt red wafers in the microwave on 50% power for 30 second intervals. Stirring after each interval until melted. If mixture is thick, thin by using Wilton Candy Melts EZ Thin Dipping Aid, or mixing in 1 tsp. shortening or oil at a time until desired thinness.
- Remove several cake hearts from the fridge at a time.
- Dip ½ inch of a lollipop stick into the melted wafers and insert it almost half way into a cake heart. Allow the cake pop to rest for 30 seconds or a minute to let the melted wafers harden onto the stick.
- Dip the cake heart fully into the melted wafers while holding onto the stick.
- After dipping, gently tap and rotate the stick to remove the excess candy coating.
- Sprinkle red sanding sugar onto the cake pop until covered before the candy coating hardens.