Apple Cider Scones are perfect to enjoy on a chilly day with tea or coffee. This lightly sweetened quick bread is even more delicious when served with jam.
Fall is my favorite season. I love the cooler weather, going to the pumpkin patch and all the delicious seasonal food. I enjoy eating apples year round, but they are especially great during the fall. Besides just eating whole apples as snacks, I like to use apples in recipes. One of the apple dishes, we are enjoying right now is Apple Cider Scones.
Being a Strawberry Shortcake Ambassador, I get to receive some fun packages on occasion. In my last package, I received an adorable Funko Pop! Strawberry Shortcake that’s even strawberry scented. I also found out that Strawberry Shortcake likes apple scones. If you don’t know what a scone is, it is a single serving quick bread that is lightly sweetened. They are usually served with jam or spread and enjoyed with tea or coffee. I made delicious Apple Cider Scones which we enjoyed while watching Strawberry Shortcake.
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 Tbs. cold butter
- ½ cup apple cider
- ½ cup milk
- 3 Tbs. honey
- 1 cup diced apples
- Turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in the cold butter into the flour mixture.
- In another bowl, mix together the apple cider, milk and honey. Pour almost all of the apple cider mixture into the flour mixture and add in the apples. Mix until incorporated. You can add the reserved apple cider mixture if needed. The dough should be slightly crumbly, but still able to shape into a ball.
- Sprinkle flour onto your work surface and place the dough onto it. Use your hands to press the ball down to 1½ inches thick. Cut the flattened dough circle into eight slices.
- Place the slices onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle cinnamon and turbinado sugar onto each slice.
- Bake for 14 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.