Easter Egg Muddy Buddies are a delicious kid friendly snack or dessert treat that is perfect for celebrating Easter.
Easter is only about a month away, but it’s never too early to start celebrating. My family has already started making Easter themed food and crafts. We also had the opportunity to watch Ice Age: The Great Eggscapade, which just released on DVD March 7. The show is about Sid taking a job as an egg nanny, but he’s unaware an old enemy has plans of his own. The mischief leads to the first egg hunt and creation of popular Easter traditions. The cute short will have kids laughing and they will be wanting to watch it again.
In honor of Ice Age: The Great Eggscapade, I created Easter Egg Muddy Buddies for a fun movie snack. Muddy buddies also known as puppy chow are rice cereal squares covered in melted chocolate and peanut butter, and then tossed in powdered sugar. For my Easter Egg Muddy Buddies, I added chocolate candy eggs into the muddy buddies for a fun edible egg hunt. It is a great sweet snack to eat while watching Ice Age: The Great Eggscapade. The white muddy buddies represent the snow/ice and the hidden candy eggs are Sid searching for his missing eggs. Easter Egg Muddy Buddies are a delicious kid friendly snack or dessert treat that is perfect for celebrating Easter.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups rice cereal squares
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup chocolate candy eggs
- In a large microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter for 1 minute. Stir mixture until smooth (microwave longer if needed). Stir in the vanilla extract. Add cereal and mix until coated. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Spoon cereal mixture into a large plastic bag. Add powdered sugar and shake the sealed bag until coated. Mix in chocolate candy eggs.