Snack Mix Popcorn Balls make a yummy snack to grab and go. They contain M&Ms and pretzel pieces.
I am addicted to my Snack Mix Popcorn Balls. I have already made two batches of them and will be making my third. They are a great sweet and salty snack.
Making popcorn balls is pretty easy if you follow the directions properly. I used three bags of Jolly Time light butter microwave popcorn for my recipe. While the popcorn was in the microwave, I broke up extra thin pretzels into pieces to make two cups. I hand scooped all the popcorn into a big bowl making sure to remove the uncooked kernels and checking the bowl for any I might of missed. Then I got another big bowl and layered the popcorn and pretzel pieces together.
Next step was making the sugar mixture on the stove top. I added the ingredients to the saucepan over medium heat. I cooked it until soft ball stage around 240F, checking with my candy thermometer. Once it reached soft ball stage, I took it off the stove and poured it over the popcorn/pretzel mix. The sugar mixture is obviously very hot so I used a big long spoon to stir. I quickly stirred the mixture until the popcorn was mostly coated and stirred in the M&M’s. Once the mixture was mixed, I scooped it into my Good Cook Popcorn Baller. I pressed the top on to compact the popcorn and form the ball shape. It makes each ball look nice and uniform shaped.
I choose to let the balls sit out to cool instead of wrapping each popcorn ball in plastic wrap right away. I usually group the balls in large gallon size plastic bags and place on the counter for us to enjoy. The Snack Mix Popcorn Balls are a great snack and would make a nice Halloween treat.
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup marshmallows
- 2 tablespoon margarine
- 2 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 bags microwave popcorn
- 2 cups thin pretzel pieces
- 1 cup candy coated chocolate pieces
- Cook popcorn in microwave. Scoop popcorn into a large bowl, making sure to remove uncooked kernels.
- In another large bowl, layer popcorn and pretzel pieces. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine corn syrup, confectioners' sugar, marshmallows, margarine, water and vanilla extract. Cook and stir until mixture reaches soft ball stage around 240F.
- Pour hot sugar mixture over popcorn/ pretzel mix.
- Quickly stir to coat the popcorn. Stir the chocolate pieces into the mixture.
- Grease hands or popcorn baller. Quickly shape the popcorn mixture into balls before it cools.
- Wrap balls in plastic wrap.
- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
Christina Strapp says
This looks really good, I will have to give this a try.
how many does the recipe make
It makes 12 large balls
Dorothy Boucher says
wow havn’t made this in years, i had made it a few times but i had used marshmellow’ i never thought to make a homemade candy syrup 🙂 i mean like dah LOLL i do candy apples all the time for the little ones heheh 🙂 thanks for share @tisonlyme143